We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Hyperlite Mountain Gear 3400 Windrider 55L Backpack and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 139
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Easy to pack for quick and fast efficiency on and off the trail.
- The exterior pockets are user-friendly, increasing the functionality and ease of use.
- Able to reach the side pockets quickly and efficiently for ease of use while walking on a trail.
- Lightweight, but remains roomy for ample storage space.
- Stylish and sleek look for casual use around the town and in the mountains.
- Durable to withstand tough conditions and rough weather.
- The mesh remains durable, despite being lightweight and minimal material.
- Very durable to withstand abrasions and last a long time.
- Provides ample water drainage from the side pockets during inclement weather.
- Works well for weekend and ultra-light trips.
- A lightweight option that can work well for minimalist through-hikers.
- Features removable aluminum stays for additional support.
- Stands up well to thorns and long-term treks, citing the abrasion-resistance of the outer material.
- The two side pockets can easily hold water bottles for additional compatibility.
- High-quality construction and materials for a long-lasting product.
- The outer material is both ultralight and water-resistant for comfort and protection.
- Provides an optimal strength-to-weight ratio in terms of the material used.
- The fixed suspension comes in four sizes for ample adjustability.
- Features three outside large, mesh pockets for ample storage space and the ability to quickly reach your gear on the trail.
- Able to handle small to medium-sized loads with ease.
- Plenty of external storage for carrying all of your gear.
- The sternum strap buckle has an emergency whistle built into it for additional functionality.
- Extra features like an ice-axe loop and single daisy loop on the front for additional compatibility.
- Features a sleek and minimalist design that lots of people will like.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of the fit not being comfortable for some body types.
- Does not have the best ventilation on the back area of the pack, meaning you might build up sweat on hot days.
- The pack is not waterproof, which means it will not be able to withstand torrential pours and snowstorms.
- Some reports of users wishing the pockets on the hip belt were a little bigger to hold more gear.
- The side compression straps do not add a lot to the pack in terms of functionality or ease of use.
- Depending on how you pack your backpack, you can feel the sharp edges of your gear through the back panel.
- The pack is not the best at carrying heavier loads, since it can get uncomfortable to transport long distances.
- Despite saying you can carry up to 40 pounds with this backpack, it might not be the most comfortable to carry heavy loads with this pack.
- At the higher end of the price spectrum in terms of backpacking packs.
- There is some concern about the durability of the stitching and the seams in regards to long-term use.
- The stitching on the shoulder straps might not hold up to prolonged use.
- Does not have some high-tech features like other packs have, like a brain, side pockets, or zipper access to the inside.
The Hyperlite Mountain Gear 3400 Windrider 55L Backpack is a durable, versatile, and highly-functional backpack that can work well for short weekend trips, everyday use, and lightweight through hiking. For minimalist hikers who enjoy stylish and easy-to-use packs that can make their life a little bit simpler, this backpack provides just the right amount of storage, adjustability, and compatibility for you.