We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Petzl Summit 2 Mountaineering Axe and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 23
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Great middle of the road option in terms of ability, pricing, and ease of use.
- The pick works well for hard snow and ice for full compatibility.
- The spike of the axe provides firmness in tough conditions for ample functionality.
- The longer shaft is easier to handle and provides an easier and more secure grip.
- Provides ample durability for consistent use and swinging.
- Provides a reliable and confidence-inspiring self-arrest performance.
- Provides excellent functionality for chopping steps and using on steep ice and snow.
- The handle has an ergonomic grip for a secure hold.
- Provides efficient and reliable steep-snow climbing abilities.
- The adze design is very functional for different kinds of use.
- The weight is below average when compared to other options for easy carrying abilities.
- Provides a solid and reliable choice for all-around use in a variety of conditions.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The anodizing wears off fairly quickly when using in firm snow, which some users might take as a lack of durability.
- Does not contain a bolt top easily swap the pick out for additional efficiency.
- More expensive when compared to other similar choices on the market.
- The tip of the pick can quickly dull when you mis-swing and hit hard rock.
- Does not contain much weight in the head, so you might have to swing the axe harder for the same effect.
- Not the best axe when using solely for ice performance.
The Petzl Summit 2 Mountaineering Axe is a durable, functional, and easy-to-use option that provides good all-around capabilities and is a reliable and sturdy choice in various climbing scenarios. Despite being expensive and not the best on ice, this mountaineering axe provides a high level of functionality and compatibility for a climber looking for versatility.