We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Petzl Ride Ice Axe and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 48
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very lightweight for ease of use and transportation.
- The grip is easy to hold and confidence-inspiring for outdoorsmen of all levels.
- Versatile to use in a wide range of mountaineering conditions.
- Durable for long-lasting use over multiple seasons.
- The length prevents the ice axe from getting in the way while carrying over long distances.
- Works well for most moderate backcountry adventures for added versatility.
- The curved shape makes it easy to use on steep snow and ice.
- Versatile to use in multiple weather conditions.
- Very lightweight to carry long distances.
- Compact for easy transportation in your pack.
- The pick is tapered at the end to efficiently penetrate the ice.
- Provides ample performance capabilities on steep snow climbing trails.
- Uses a plastic insert to prevent snow from entering the ice axe for added functionality.
- Compact enough to fit inside most skiing rucksacks and backpacks
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The ice axe may feel a little slippery to some users, reducing the security and ease-of-use.
- Only available in one short length, at 45cm, which may not work for all climbing conditions.
- Since the ice axe does not have a steel spike, it has a lower level of durability when compared to some other ice axe options.
- Does not contain a real spike, which may not be tough enough to permeate some ice conditions.
The Petzl Ride Ice Axe is a versatile, lightweight, and compact option that can easily be brought on a variety of outdoor adventures. With a curved shape to increase user efficiency and lightweight construction, this ice axe is a good choice for mountaineers of any skill level.