We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Metolius Mega Pack Hold Sets and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 82 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.4 stars
Expert Rating: 3.4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 33
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Has a variety of hold styles.
- Variety of sizes.
- Good option for beginners due to multiple options.
- The large holds come individually packaged for ease and arrive in good condition.
- No reports of chips or other issues on the pieces.
- Great for completing a larger collection of pieces, especially for those interested in smearing and slabs.
- Easy installation by screwing them onto the wall.
- Metolius holds are known for being high-quality, durable, and able to produce creative routes.
- The price per hold is inexpensive.
- Hardware for set-up is included in the price.
- Provides bolt-on crimp holds for variety.
- Performed well on 40 degree training wall.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Reports of not having the best grip or feel on the holds.
- Some people had issues with the screw-on footholds chipping due to over-torquing them.
- Lowest score in terms of durability.
- The package arrived with missing bolts.
- Multiple holds could not be used on the testing wall due to the angle.
- The holds that were comfortable on the hands had a slippery substance coating them, making them hard to grasp.
The Metolius Mega Pack Hold Sets is designed for those looking to build their first climbing wall without spending too much money. It is convenient and cost effective. However, the simple nature of the product does come with a downside, which includes hold designs lacking in creativity and a tricky installation.