We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Yakima DrTray Bike Rack and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 170
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Lightweight, making it easy for one person to install on your truck.
- Able to make adjustments without tools to accommodate various bike sizes and shapes.
- The aluminum construction prevents rust formation for long-lasting use.
- Secure while driving at high speeds on the road for added safety.
- The clearance on the vehicle is adequate to prevent any rubbing or chaffing of the bikes.
- The built-in locks are secure and durable to keep your bikes safe.
- Lightweight when compared to similar-size bike racks for added functionality.
- Features the possibility of adding a third bike for added compatibility.
- Prevents bike-on-bike contact that can harm the paint and aesthetic of the bikes.
- The SpeedKnob quickly and securely attaches the rack to the vehicle without any tools necessary.
- The tightening system is simple and easy to adjust while on the truck or car.
- Feature integrated hitch and cable locks for added safety.
- The tilt lever is in a convenient and functional location for easy adjustments.
- Doesn’t require any tools for assembly, making the set-up quick and easy for beginners.
- Provides more adjustment between bikes than other similar racks.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- At the high end of the price spectrum when compared to similar bike racks.
- The tray might be too short for modern bikes, causing the wheel to hang off the back of the bike rack.
- The release lever is sticky and sometimes tedious to use, reducing the functionality.
- The bikes wobble more while driving at high speeds than other heavier bike racks.
- Very expensive when compared to other similar bike racks.
- The ratcheting arm release lever does not feel heavy-duty or long-lasting.
- Might lack long-term durability due to the lightweight frame and aluminum construction.
- Not compatible with carrying 4 bikes, which may be a drawback for some people.
The Yakima DrTray Bike Rack is an easy-to-use, highly adjustable, and simple bike rack that works well for carrying 2 or 3 bikes securely and safely. However, the lack of durability and lighter-weight material cause some issues in terms of performance over the years. This bike rack might be good in the short term, but for the hefty price tag, we wouldn’t risk the expensive cost.