We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Western Mountaineering Flight Down Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 11
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- The jacket is so lightweight it will make you laugh.
- Holds up well to being laundered.
- Easily compressible and re-lofts quickly after unpacking.
- Elastic wristband and adjustable waist-cord help keep warmth in.
- If you treat it well, this jacket will last a long time.
- Even in the freezing cold, I feel like I’m wrapped in my cozy comforter at home when I wear this jacket.
- The jacket is made with exquisite care – from the zippers to the baffles to the stitching.
- Can also be great to sleep in, if you don’t want to carry a mega sleeping bag.
- Can be used all in types of cold environments, just make sure to have a shell if it will precipitate.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Color options aren’t very exciting.
- Jacket is not at all stylish and has a unisex look to it.
- Fabric is extremely fragile. Don’t even look at it the wrong way.
- Only one zipper pull so jacket can’t be opened from the bottom.
- No internal pockets.
- Arms are too short.
- Would be nice if it came with a lightweight stuff sack.
- Extremely un-stylish look.
- Body length is too short.
- Collar is not close enough to the neck.
- Poor warmth to weight ratio. (Editor’s note: a single but very well respected Expert Review site found this jacket to have poor warmth-to-weight ratio. This is contrary to all the other reviews on the web but we felt it was important to note here.)
The Western Mountaineering Flight Down Jacket is made with exquisite craftsmanship. The jacket has tremendous loft which provides superior warmth at a minimal weight. Compared to other jackets, the Flight is un-stylish and not made to “wear around town.” Instead, it’s warmth and light weight make it a top notch practical choice.