We’ve read the reviews across the web for the La Sportiva Katana Lace Vibram XS Edge Climbing Shoe and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 162
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Tight but comfortable fit.
- Ideal for trad climbing.
- Can handle thin cracks and edging.
- True to size for normal shoes, so size-down a half or full size when purchasing.
- Ability to resole after prolonged use.
- Works well in tiny edges.
- Stiffness and the P3 midsole platform allow for control and stability.
- Little bit of down turn allows you to stay hooked on steeper pitches.
- Laces ensure a tight fit.
- Extra padding protects the heel.
- Edges as well as competitors, and on a wider variety of surfaces and rock types.
- Design allows for efficiency on trad climbing and crack climbing.
- Tech fit and medium asymmetry allow for increased holding power.
- Provides adequate support, but also sensitive enough to receive feedback.
- Versatility of the shoe justifies the price.
- P3 maintains shape throughout the lifespan of the shoe.
- Vibram XS Edge rubber is designed to be great at edging.
- Rubber works very well at smearing.
- Flexible enough to provide some torque, but stiff enough to protect your feet.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Lack of rubber doesn’t allow for confident toe-hooks.
- Not ideal for sustained crack climbing.
- More expensive than other similar shoes.
- Stitching in the heel could become uncomfortable while breaking in the shoe.
- Rubber can wear out quickly.
- May need a less-structured shoe for bouldering specifically.
- Does not hook as well as an aggressive shoe.
- Won’t be able to jam your toes into pockets as efficiently as you could with an aggressive bouldering shoe.
- Low-volume heel prevents the heel from slipping out.
- Heel could be a little more sensitive in regards to feedback.
- Not designed for toe-hooking.
The La Sportiva Katana Lace Vibram XS Edge Climbing Shoe is an ideal option for all-day trad or crack climbing, that performs well in edging, smearing, and slabs as well. This all-around shoe performs well in all categories and is versatile enough to suit the needs of any level climber.