We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Patagonia Torrentshell Jacket – Women’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 446
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Jacket length is a bit longer in the back to add more coverage and seal in warmth.
- Lightweight and comfortable.
- Sufficient color choices.
- Hood can fit over a helmet.
- Pit zips to aid in breathability.
- Long sleeves to cover arms fully, but may be a bit too long if you size-up for extra room.
- Waterproof and wind resistant.
- Micro-fleece lines the inside of the neck collar to keep in warmth and prevent chaffing.
- Outside of jacket dries quickly after getting wet.
- Laminated visor on rollable and stowable hood.
- Two, zipped, deep hand-warmer pockets, and internal, mesh drop-pocket.
- Cuffs can be adjusted for a tighter and snug fit using velcro straps.
- Microfleece-lined neck provides warmth and protects waterproof/breathable barrier.
- Pit zips and roomy fit aid in airflow circulation.
- Hood covers well while maintaining peripheral visibility.
- Hood is easily cinched by two cords at the front of the hood.
- Medium weight makes jacket a great shell for day-hiking or possibly backpacking.
- Ripstop nylon is durable and prevents tears, making the jacket suitable for outdoor activities like climbing.
- Carabiner clip-loop sewn into pocket.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- No flaps to cover velcro to prevent catching.
- Lack of breathability, not suitable for prolonged aerobic activities.
- No elastic on the cuffs, only velcro.
- If buying true to size, jacket can be a bit tight in the hip area for some body types.
- No cover flap for front zipper, allowing wind to come into the jacket.
- Inside of the jacket takes longer to dry than the outside after getting wet in prolonged rain.
- Some slight leaks around the cuffs.
- Front zipper isn’t fully watertight sealed.
- DWR can sometimes wear off quickly, lessening waterproof ability.
- Not a very breathable jacket.
- Baggy fit can cause the zipper to push out while wearing, making it uncomfortable while wearing a pack.
The Patagonia Torrentshell Jacket for women is a basic rain shell, which provides a relatively lightweight, durable, water-resistant, and stylish option for outdoor use. The features, such as ripstop nylon, easily packability, and hood adjustability make this a decent waterproof jacket, but not the top option for prolonged outdoor adventures.