We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 143
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Ideal warmth-to-weight ratio.
- Warm for being so lightweight.
- Versatile for many climates.
- Ideal piece for layering in multiple conditions.
- Hydrophobic down to increase water-resistant capabilities.
- 800-fill down is high quality and provides a lot of warmth without a lot of weight.
- Long enough sleeves to cover wrists and not rise up when lifting arms.
- Can cinch the waist drawstring to seal heat inside.
- Rip-stop nylon outer layer to increase durability.
- Ideal mid-altitude shoulder season/summer climbing jacket.
- Whisperer ripstop resists the wind.
- Two handwarmer pockets with ultralight zippers.
- Nylon outer fabric is treated with DWR, which has proven to be effective at beading light precipitation.
- Down maintains some insulating properties when wet due to hydrophobic treatment.
- Allows for optimal mobility in shoulders, upper back, and arms.
- Can clip easily onto harness when folded.
- Two handwarmer pockets are placed high enough on jacket that they won’t get buried under a climbing harness.
- Stuffs into own pocket for self-storage.
- One of the most lightweight options when compared other similar models on a weight spectrum.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Not a stand-alone jacket for cold use below freezing temperatures.
- Not an athletic fit, which some may prefer.
- Many reports of a fragile zipper.
- Sleeves may be too long for some body types.
- Slightly water-resistant, but not waterproof.
- May not be durable enough for an active outer-layer.
- Some slightly heavier jackets are much warmer.
- No velcro on the wrists for adjustability.
- More susceptible to tearing than tougher materials.
- No internal stash pockets.
- Front zipper is sticky and gets caught on surrounding fabric.
The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Jacket for men provides solid mid-layer warmth at a minimal weight. While there are warmer down jackets on the market, few provide so many features with such little weight, making the Ghost Whisperer a nice choice for outdoor adventures in moderate to cool weather.