We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Outdoor Research Ferrosi Hooded Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 70
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Able to maintain core temperature and protect you from moderate elements during aerobic exercise.
- Very comfortable and trim fit.
- Thumb holes are helpful in avoiding bunched sleeves.
- Very breathable during aerobic activities.
- Versatile and ideal for layering.
- Packs easily into a pack due to lightweight material.
- Thick nylon on the arms and shoulders add to weather defenses.
- Improved water-resistance (especially under pack-straps), and wind-resistance.
- Thin stretch-nylon does a decent job of blocking light rain and mist.
- Efficient at simplicity, durability, and versatility.
- Hood works well both over and under a helmet.
- Material is stretchy enough for sufficient mobility.
- Very lightweight for a true soft-shell.
- Slim and long cut stays tucked in and keeps fabric clear of gear loops for climbing.
- Very durable for the weight.
- Defends against the elements with a tight nylon/spandex weave and DWR treatment, allowing to remain lightweight and somewhat weather-resistant.
- Outperforms the competition in high-output aerobic activity.
- After wetting out, the stretchy body and hood fabric breathed very well.
- When wearing gloves, the wrist cuffs stayed in place and didn’t fall.
- Quality thumb loops allow the wearer to keep the cuffs in place.
- The athletic fit is snug but not too tight.
- Simple elastic wrist closures that keep the cuffs secure and fit easily over lightweight gloves.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Not adequate for rain, snow, or high winds.
- Hood doesn’t have a volume adjustment.
- Hood doesn’t cover chin as well as other models.
- Nylon holds moisture and more humidity than expected.
- Not the softest material.
- Collar was low and loose.
- Handwarmer pockets were unusable while wearing a harness.
- Much less protective than shells with a specialized weave.
- Not waterproof.
- Heavier and less water-resistant than the lighter models from Arc’teryx.
- Just one offset elastic cinch on the right side of the hem while most jackets have two.
- After prolonged use the hem cords will fray and the shoulders and elbows will experience wear.
The Outdoor Research Ferrosi Hooded Jacket for men is simply designed and well-built, providing a durable and breathable option for for outdoor activities. The jacket is a good choice for high-output aerobic activities and serving as a mid-layer in colder climates.