We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Arc’teryx Gamma MX Hoody – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 255
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very water-resistant for a softshell.
- Durable fabric for a softshell.
- Breathable and functional.
- Great for layering.
- Ideal for any high intensity outdoor activities.
- Basically windproof.
- Soft and comfortable fit.
- Adjustable hood.
- Hood moves with your head during movement.
- Features chest pockets for storage.
- Close-fitting for style but not restricting.
- Fortius 2.0 fabric beads water off in light precipitation due to DWR treatment.
- High-zipper closes around the chin, and has a comfortable fleece backing.
- Stretch woven panels move well with body.
- Hood accommodates ski and climbing helmets.
- Hood has a 3-way cinch system with cord-locks for a tight seal.
- Collar is lined with fleece for comfort and warmth.
- Hand pockets are situated high enough to be usable with a harness.
- Remained comfortably tucked under a harness with full shoulder mobility.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Cuffs do not stretch.
- No velcro cuffs on the sleeves for adjustability.
- Some may prefer a scuba-style hood instead.
- Prolonged exposure to moisture will cause jacket to wet through.
- Tough to fit cuffs over gloves.
- Fabric is air-permeable and passes moisture through to keep your body dry during activity, but the fleece lining inhibits this somewhat.
- A trim and athletic fit, despite Arc’teryx claiming a regular fit, which may deter some people.
- Jacket is not quite hip length.
- Performance is similar to a nice fleece jacket which is disappointing for the money.
The Arc’teryx Gamma MX Hoody for men is a stylish, durable, and breathable jacket that is appropriate for medium and high intensity outdoor activities in dry and chilly environments. Despite being expensive and having somewhat limited water and wind protection, the Gamma is a well-loved favorite.