We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Outdoor Research Transcendent Hooded Down Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 86 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.4 stars
Expert Rating: 4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 356
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- An adjustable hood allows you to keep out more cold air.
- While it doesn’t compress super tight, it does stuff nicely into its own pocket.
- Style that can go from the backcountry to downtown.
- Outdoor Research fit is true to size, and this jacket has just enough room for layers underneath without being baggy.
- Pockets! Between two external hand pockets, an outer chest pocket with its own internal pocket, and two large dump pockets on the inside, this jacket has you covered.
- Wide variety of color options.
- Nice construction and a pocket that turns into the jacket’s stuff-sack makes this jacket easy to fit in your pack.
- Lots of pockets!
- Great price-point for a down jacket which allows you to use the jacket without being paranoid about damaging it.
- Sustainably-obtained down.
- Cinchable openings and large baffles help maintain your warmth.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Larger baffles add warmth, but make this jacket extra puffy and hard to be anything but a top layer.
- The relatively lightweight construction of this puffy jacket sacrifices durability, as the outer layer can be prone to rips in rough terrain.
- For thinner individuals, this jacket may not fit as preferred since this jacket maintains the same shape throughout the chest and waist area.
- The 650-fill down lofts more in wider baffles, keeping it from being ultralight and ultra-compressible for pack storage.
- The 650-fill down gives this jacket its great price-point, but not the best warmth. (Competitive jackets have higher quality down, but at a higher price point, of course.)
Outdoor Research hit a sweet spot with their Transcendent Hooded Down Jacket. Offering a wide variety of colors, this stylish and affordable puffy is a solid companion on and off the trail. While this jacket is no featherweight, it gets the job done.