We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Western Mountaineering Versalite Sleeping Bag: 10 Degree Down and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 94 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.9 stars
Expert Rating: 4.3 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 102
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- 10-degree Fahrenheit rating allows a good temperature range.
- Packs down very small.
- High quality zipper won’t get jammed.
- Feels plush and warm.
- Super lightweight.
- Not so tight that it feels constrictive.
- Many reports of keeping the user warm in temperatures below the listed rating of 10 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Warmth-to-weight ratio is optimal.
- Reports of being in -5 to +40 degrees Fahrenheit comfortably.
- 850-fill down provides comfort and warmth.
- Comfortable taffeta lining and durable lightweight shell for coziness and long-lasting material.
- The bag is 20 ounces and the material weight is 13.7 ounces, making this an extremely efficient sleeping bag.
- More inches in the shoulders make room for layering when the temperatures are below freezing.
- Big draft collar has own dedicated cinch cord for keeping out the cold air.
- 12-denier ExtremeLite shell fabric is weather-resistant.
- Versalite is offered in three different lengths for all body types.
- Ability to shift inside the bag down from top to bottom gives a wide comfort range.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Stuff sack doesn’t compress sleeping bag well.
- Might be too warm for summer months.
- Very expensive.
- No extra down in the hood and collar for warmth.
- Shell fabric feels less durable than MicroLite XP.
- Hood is shallower compared to similar models.
- ExtremeLite ultra-lightweight nylon shell isn’t as weatherproof, so we don’t recommend using this outside of a tent if there is a chance of precipitation or heavy due.
The Western Mountaineering Versalite Sleeping Bag: 10 Degree Down is a fantastic lightweight sleeping bag that is made to withstand sub-freezing temperatures and compresses easily. The construction of the bag allows you to shift the down and change the warmth factor, making this an extremely versatile and high performing bag.