We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Marmot Gravity Softshell Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 90 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.6 stars
Expert Rating: 4.4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 382
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Well constructed and some consider it to be lightweight.
- Waist cord for adjustability.
- Velcro cuff adjustments to seal in warmth.
- Some reports of users liking the athletic fit.
- DWR coating helps to protect against light precipitation.
- No shoulder knitting which is beneficial for layering clothes below the jacket.
- Can be worn outside in moderate/cold temperatures comfortably, with a baselayer underneath.
- Many reports of high quality and stylish appearance.
- M1 softshell material boasts great wind resistance and great bulk.
- Two zippered, handwarmer pockets provide warmth.
- Most of the internal seams are sewn flat and are very comfortable.
- Light and stretchy material at the cuffs easily folds over without adding bulk.
- Sleek and athletic look.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Not suitable for a stand-alone jacket in cold temperatures.
- Runs small and fits tightly in the arms and chest, so you will need to size-up to wear layers underneath.
- Not waterproof.
- Small arm/shoulder pocket is placed awkwardly and may not be useful.
- It isn’t very breathable in slightly warmer temperatures or high intensity activities.
- No inside chest pocket for storage.
- Sleeves tend to run a bit long.
- Doesn’t provide much warmth, and will need to be layered in mild/cold temperatures.
- High-intensity outdoor activities cause overheating due to material and interior fleece-lining.
- When rock climbing, the jacket can ride out of the harness, or the cuffs fall below wrists.
- Tight and restrictive fit limit mobility.
- Heavier weight than similar models and not suited for throwing into a pack.
- Hem adjustments located in the hand warmer pockets are difficult to use with gloves on.
- Velcro can abrade the cuff and make it look worn.
- Lacking a hood for added weather protection.
The Marmot Gravity Softshell Jacket for men is a popular staple that combines style, functionality, and wind-resistance. The lack of breathability and limited mobility make this a less-than-ideal choice for high intensity activities, but more suited for walking around town.