We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket – Women’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 258
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Easy to clean and dry the jacket.
- Hydrophobic down protects the down’s loft when wet so it doesn’t lose all its insulating properties.
- Material is thin, but still remains surprisingly durable.
- Fits well under outer shells.
- Very comfortable.
- Stores inside own pocket for easy stow-ability.
- Quick-drying after becoming wet due to hydrophobic down treatment.
- Lightweight and functional as a mid-layer to add warmth.
- The down is top-of-the-line, making it very warm for the weight.
- Proves to be a quality mid-layer insulating piece.
- Features 800-fill power Q.Shield down, and the down is treated with NIKWAX, helping this jacket resist moisture.
- When compared to similar jackets, this model was the lightest in the review.
- When climbing, the jacket is very lightweight and out-of-the-way when clipped to the back of your harness.
- Small and compressible for easy traveling ability.
- Features a loop in the pocket you can clip to the back of your harness.
- Jacket didn’t absorb any sweat, with the moisture wicking through, keeping the user dry.
- Features ultra-light Whisperer 7D x 10D rip-stop nylon fabric which is surprisingly durable given how thin it is.
- Q. Shield Down retains heat in moderately wet conditions, keeping the user warm.
- Single hem cinch-cord for adjustability and heat capture.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- When the shoulders fit correctly, the body of the jacket fits too bulky.
- No inside pocket for storage.
- The cut is better for slim people and for those with less-broad shoulders.
- Reports of a flimsy zipper that has questionable durability.
- May need to size-up.
- Despite being warm for the weight, the jacket isn’t super warm, due to being ultra-lightweight and using thin materials and less down.
- Baffles can create potential cold spots.
- Thin jacket material can rip easily.
The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket for women has an extremely impressive weight-to-warmth ratio. However, the ultra-lightweight materials don’t provide as much overall heat or durability as some competitors. For those looking to go fast and light, and are willing to sacrifice some warmth, this is a terrific choice.