We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Arc’teryx Gamma MX Softshell Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 87 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.3 stars
Expert Rating: 4.5 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 134
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Durable for many years of use.
- Good ventilation.
- Great for outdoor exercise in mild winter temperatures.
- Lots of functional pockets, including an arm pocket.
- Very stylish look.
- Very comfortable for both indoors and outdoors.
- Fleece lining is warm and cozy
- The arms of the jacket move well, even while reaching overhead.
- Chest pockets increase ease while wearing a harness or backpack.
- Has a very versatile look.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Snug fit that creates bunching of under layers, particularly on the arms.
- The cut on the torso is short.
- The chest pocket seal delaminates over time.
- Not very weatherproof.
- Very small arm cuffs.
- The fleece lining reduces breathability.
- Moisture penetrates this jacket more quickly than other soft shells jackets.
- The slim fit runs small.
- Bulkier than similar soft-shell models.
The Arc’teryx Gamma MX Softshell Jacket is good at what it does — act as a moderately wind- and waterproof soft shell with good mobility and a flattering fit. While it will not stand up to very cold temperatures, the fleece lining will keep you cozy in the fall and spring and on mild winter days. People looking for an all-around ski shell may be disappointed, as the slim fit does not accommodate layering and the price is steep, but for high-output activities on cool days, this jacket is comfortable and appreciated for its durability and comfort.