We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Arc’teryx Fortrez Hooded Fleece Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 85 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.3 stars
Expert Rating: 4.2 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 126
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Neck gaiter acts as a wind blocker.
- Well-constructed and functional jacket/hood.
- Great choice for stand-alone jacket in the shoulder seasons, and as a layer in the winter.
- The permeability allows for the ability to wear during activities, but makes this jacket not the warmest option.
- Lightweight, durable, and warm.
- Not waterproof, but more water-resistant than much of the fleece jacket competition.
- The hood is slim-fitting to keep warmth in, and works well under a ski helmet.
- The ‘Hardface’ treatment makes the face fabric smooth, yet durable, helping it to repel weather and wick moisture, while keeping your face warm and soft.
- This jacket has more wind-resistance than much of the fleece competition due to the smooth face material.
- Able to comfortably fit a base-layer underneath, and still wear under an outer shell.
- The stretchy fleece is sewn into the collar, and can be pulled over your head for a pop-up face mask.
- Features 3 pockets, with two regular hand pockets above the hip-belt level, and one larger chest pocket for ample storage.
- The zippers work smoothly and are snag-free.
- The full zipper provides extra ventilation.
- The athletic but trim fit allows for a streamlined look, with enough room for layering underneath.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The fit may not work for some body types.
- When the jacket is zipped up to the chest, and undergoes any stretching motion, the zipper can slide down and become undone.
- The hood would not be sufficient in strong winds, but is suitable for most conditions.
- The sleeves do not have built-in thumb holes.
- Some reports of the length being too long.
- Only considered a ‘moderately warm’ fleece, so may not be suitable for all conditions.
- The zippers can be difficult to pull with gloves on.
- Even though this is a highly-technical and active fleece, there are no thumb holes present.
- No two-way main zip, which would have aided in functionality.
The Arc’teryx Fortrez Hooded Fleece Jacket for men is a great option for a more technical fleece that provides moisture-wicking qualities, ventilation, and weather protection. The moderate warmth makes this fleece a good choice for a stand-alone layer during shoulder seasons, or as a layer under a tougher shell during alpine adventures.