We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Guide Finger Mitten and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 93
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Separated finger allows for increased dexterity.
- The liner is removable.
- Easily adjustable cuff.
- High quality and durable.
- Keeps hands warm even on cold days in negative temperatures.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- Warm even on sub-zero days.
- “Lobster claw” design keeps hands warmer than traditional gloves.
- Liner wicks sweat and dries easily.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The palm is not well insulated.
- Waterproofing care is required to keep these working well.
- Typical to many “lobster claw” gloves, the index finger gets colder than the others.
- Gloves can run a bit small, so size up for extra warmth.
- No wrist strap, although you can attach your own.
- Too warm for 20-30 degree F days, and causes hands to sweat.
The Black Diamond Guide Finger Mitten is a champion for cold days on the mountain, keeping heat in and wetness out (especially after some leather treatment). The separated index finger works for increased dexterity, and the liner keeps hands warm while wicking sweat away. Although the palm of these gloves is noticeably thinner than the back of the hand, the glove stays warm and is still durable against wear and tear and steel edges.
Note: User and expert rankings were reviewed across the web, including here: 1.