We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Outdoor Research Floodlight Down Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 83 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.1 stars
Expert Rating: 4.3 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 88
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Packs down well, although not tiny.
- Windproof outer is effective.
- Helpful pockets for storage.
- Waterproofing actually works in wetter snow conditions.
- Well-designed hood that covers all parts of the head well.
- The outer of the jacket is waterproof and windproof, and water beads off instead of soaking in.
- The baffle seams are sealed on the inside, instead of stitched, which increases waterproofing and wind protection.
- Hand-warmer pockets are high enough to use while wearing a harness outside the jacket.
- The stiff rim of the hood prevents water from dipping down your face.
- The jacket is exceptionally warm considering the relatively small amount of down inside.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Noisy material.
- Not much insulation in the arms.
- The bottom of the jacket is snug on the hips.
- Not suitable for very cold days close to or below zero degrees Fahrenheit, or for sitting around in the cold.
- The zipper is of lower quality than the rest of the jacket and is not easy to use.
- The seams are weak and are the first part to wear out for most users (the company reports that this has been fixed in newer models).
- The length of the jacket can make it inconvenient to wear with a harness.
- While the tight fit helps to warm the body up more quickly, it limits the use of the pockets and harnesses.
- The outer fabric is delicate.
- The zippers are not waterproof.
The Outdoor Research Floodlight Down Jacket for men is the answer to the age-old question “what should I wear to keep me both warm AND dry?” This jacket is both water- and windproof, with 800-fill down that keeps you warm in chilly (but not extremely cold) temps. The fitted hood garners the most praise, while the benefits of the tighter cut are debated: it can make wearing a harness inconvenient, but also heats you up quickly. Overall, this is a quality jacket that can actually keep you warm and dry in a cold, wet environment.