We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Mountain Hardwear Nilas Down Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 70
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Provides a good warmth-to-weight ratio.
- Big drop-in pockets on the inside for keeping items secure.
- Cuffs on the wrist keep in the heat and are comfortable.
- You can fit an active layer underneath for extra warmth.
- Very comfortable and lightweight.
- Able to wear gloves over or under the wrist cuffs (depending on the glove).
- Water-resistant against light precipitation.
- Packs down fairly small for such a poofy jacket.
- The baffles provide warmth all over your body while wearing, not just concentrated in certain spots.
- The shell fabric is wind-resistant for mild weather protection.
- Hood is easily adjustable with drawcords and is insulated for warmth.
- Elastic cuffs aid in keeping heat inside and able to wear over gloves comfortably.
- The face fabric provides comfort and softness without being scratchy or stiff.
- Fit is great for active use and climbing.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Not waterproof, so the jacket will soak through in prolonged precipitation.
- No zipper pulls make it difficult to grab the zippers quickly.
- Insulation is good for the weight, but not the best for very cold days.
The Mountain Hardwear Nilas Down Jacket for men is a very good down jacket with a nice warmth-to-weight ratio, providing versatility and good cold weather protection. Despite not being the warmest down jacket and having some zipper issues, it does provide good warmth while remaining relatively lightweight. It has ample storage options and packs down small, allowing you to easily bring it as a layering option during cold weather adventures.