We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Mountain Equipment Lightline Down Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 90 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.7 stars
Expert Rating: 4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 450
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- The jacket is warm and comfortable.
- Stylish fit and material.
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Ample storage space in the pockets.
- Blocks light wind from entering and water-resistant.
- Lightweight and a flattering trim-fit.
- Hood doesn’t pull back when not in use, adding to comfort.
- Able to zip up to your face to keep neck warm.
- Detachable hood for customization.
- Provides warmth and insulation.
- The Drillite Loft shell is water-resistant, plus coated in DWR for added protection against light precipitation.
- The hood has three panels for adjustability around the face for protection.
- Highest fill weight in this review at 10.4 ounces comprised of 700-fill down.
- Clean, sleek, and a variety of colors.
- A great value for a jacket comprised of this material.
- Features microporous polyurethane coating, to aid in breathability.
- 2-way YKK durable front zippers for snag-free use.
- Rear insulated baffle increases warmth where you need it most.
- Adjustable cuffs with Velcro.
- Inexpensive option for the warmth.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- No external chest pocket.
- The zipper is on the opposite side, so some may feel it is ‘backwards.’
- May not be warm enough for subzero temperatures or stationary wearing.
- The stuff sack is somewhat small, and can be difficult for the jacket to quickly fit into it.
- Not considered ultra-premium due to not providing a high warmth-to-weight ratio.
- Does not compress down as easily as you would expect for the size.
Mountain Equipment Lightline Down Jacket for men is a durable and warm hooded jacket. This jacket would work as a stand-alone in almost all cold dry conditions, or under a shell in wet conditions, due to the impressive warmth it provides. While it doesn’t have the highest warmth-to-weight ratio, it is a solid choice for non-technical cold weather use.