We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 81 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.1 stars
Expert Rating: 4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 581
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Can be charged from multiple sources.
- Very quiet.
- A fully charged battery has enough battery to re-charge a variety of devices.
- The USB ports are reliable and convenient.
- Resistant to water and cold weather.
- Best use is as a re-charging station, not a continuous power bank for appliances.
- The flat handle design makes it stackable but also easy to carry.
- Provides a large variety and number of ports.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Limited storage capacity, especially considering the cost.
- Battery life can be unreliable.
- Takes a very long time to charge.
- Can have a short life, even when kept charged.
- The AC output is a weak point in durability.
- The “solar charging” capability is best for keeping the generator topped off while in use, not charging the entire unit.
- Can’t be used for all appliances, especially high-output ones.
- The solar panels must be purchased separately.
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator offers power to those looking for an off-the-grid getaway, or power for emergency uses, although it is most effective when fully charged by a power outlet, and topped-off using solar panels (sold separately). This generator is popular with people using CPAP machines while camping for a few days, and also has multiple ports for charging devices simultaneously. This does not have the capacity to power kitchen appliances, but for specific uses and portability this generator is a solid choice, although the battery may not last long enough to justify the price.