We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Outdoor Research Trailbreaker Softshell Pant – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 83 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.4 stars
Expert Rating: 3.7 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 65
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- The side-zipper vents keep you cool.
- Features an avalanche-transceiver pocket for easy storage and access.
- The big ankle zippers allow for easy transitioning from hiking boots to ski boots.
- Stretchy and provides mobility.
- Breathable due to ventilation from the zippers.
- The waist has adjustable Velcro tabs to change the tension in the waist area.
- Features pockets on either side for easy access and storage.
- Offers slight wind protection.
- Comprised of a nylon, polyester, and spandex blend to combine mobility and durability.
- The loops on the waistband are compatible with suspenders for adjustability.
- Comfortable fit and material.
- Lightweight and soft.
- The vents for breathability are long and mesh-less, for ample ventilation.
- Features five zippered pockets for ample secure storage.
- The removable gaiters are easy to use.
- Features pockets for knee-pads, which is amazing (if you like to ski with knee pads).
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The thigh pocket is slightly awkward to reach and get to quickly.
- The cuff zipper has reportedly broken off when closing the cuff.
- No waterproof material on the back/rear area, where the pants may get wet when sitting.
- Reports of the sizing running small, which makes buying online difficult.
- The waterproof fabric is only on the lower part of the leg, and everywhere else is breathable soft shell fabric, which aids in ventilation, but decreases weather-resistance.
- Some users may not want the thigh pockets to be in the rear of the pant.
- The leg vents could have benefited from a mesh, to prevent snow from getting inside.
- Pants are heavier than competition.
The Outdoor Research Trailbreaker Softshell Pant for men is a versatile, functional, and comfortable ski and snowboard pant that offers ample ventilation for intense outdoor activities. The lack of consistent waterproof fabric and mesh for the vents leaves some detriments in terms of weather-resistance, but the mobile fit and soft material make this a nice option.