We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond 9.9 Rope and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 62
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Holds knots well and stays tight.
- Functionality makes this a good choice for gym or crag climbing.
- Good hand-feel and runs smoothly.
- Rope color is stylish.
- Sheath durability holds up well over sharp edges.
- Provides soft catches during falls.
- Thicker and easy to hold for beginners.
- Size is ideal for using with a Petzel Grigri.
- Provides a solid brake on whips.
- Burly rope that can be used in a variety of climbing situations.
- Not too stiff to handle well.
- No snags or lumps after prolonged use.
- Hasn’t lost dynamic qualities over time.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of the rope not being the most durable.
- Some reports of questionable sheath durability over prolonged use.
- 9.9mm is a narrow rope, and can take some getting used to.
- Can get a few kinks in it during the first few uses due to the coil the rope arrives in.
The Black Diamond 9.9 Rope is a reliable, versatile, and easy-to-use rope for a variety of climber levels in various climbing situations. After getting used to the thickness and hopefully avoiding any durability issues, most climbers will find the 9.9 rope to excel during many climbing problems.