We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Salomon XA Pro 3D Trail Running Shoe – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 86 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.4 stars
Expert Rating: 4.1 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 2639
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Lacing system allows for quick-tightening.
- Gore-Tex membrane works at keeping feet dry.
- Can tuck laces into the tongue for a sleek look and to prevent tripping.
- Supportive and stable fit.
- Feels snug and secure around foot.
- Conforms on your foot to provide cushioning and adequate support.
- Breathes well for a Gore-Tex shoe.
- The tread doesn’t clog or get jammed with mud.
- The soles provide grip on a variety of surfaces.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- The heel cup is supportive, and the shoe is stable for running and walking.
- The sole is more aggressive rubber, but has a soft feel, when compared to previous models.
- Provides enough support for road-racing, but also has enough cushioning for longer runs.
- The lacing system and support create a stable shoe that is suitable for both trail-running and hiking.
- Feels very stable and secure while using.
- Quicklace system is easy to get to customized tension.
- Provides solid grip on a variety of terrain.
- Protective rubber toe cap for protecting against debris.
- Breathable upper material for added ventilation.
- The tongue prevents mud and other debris from wedging behind the laces.
- Quick-drying after getting wet.
- The fit is ideal for those with low-volume feet.
- Triple density EVA adds protection and support.
- The Contragrip outer sole allows for traction and forming a secure grip to your foot.
- The lugs are built to release dirt when build-up occurs.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of the sizing being inconsistent compared to previous models.
- Some reports of the waterproofing not lasting past minimal use.
- Some reports of a long break-in time and some initial stiffness.
- Takes some time to get used to the lacing system.
- The lacing system can get a little slack after extended use.
- Narrower than previous versions, throwing off the sizing.
- Not as comfortable as other options.
- Not quite as supple as a true running shoe.
- The shoe runs narrow, making accurate sizing difficult.
- Multiple reports of the shoe not being durable and the tread not being grippy enough.
- The Quicklace system can be a bit tedious when tucking the extra end of the laces away.
- The breathable upper allows for ventilation, but lets water in.
- More difficult to grip adequately on steeper ground due to the stiffness and wider base of the shoe.
- The Quicklace system can be somewhat difficult to release when it is covered in debris.
- The Quicklace may not suit everyone’s needs.
- Some issues with the Contragrip outer sole wearing down quickly.
- Some pinching and a stiff upper before being fully broken-in.
- The shoe runs wide in the toe box, which is up to personal preference and foot shape.
- Limited sensitivity may not be best for trail runners.
The Salomon XA Pro 3D Trail Running Shoe for men is a supportive and traction-filled option with a waterproof membrane for avid hikers or trail runners. There are some reports of the waterproofing and tread failing quickly and the heavier material may not be for everyone. However, the XA Pro 3D is still a top choice for those looking for a supportive trail runner.
Note: User and expert rankings were reviewed across the web. Some expert reviews include these: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.