We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Patagonia Stretch Rainshadow Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 119
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Keeps you comfortable and dry in a variety of weather conditions.
- Lightweight and can pack easily.
- Breathable and ventilates well.
- Waterproof material (although a number of reports claim the waterproofing fails).
- The jacket fits well over an insulated layer.
- Cuffs are Velcro-adjustable for cinching down to keep the heat in and keep sleeves in place.
- The pockets zip well and stay closed.
- Pockets are well-placed for use with packs.
- Comprised of 2.5-layer waterproof material, plus a 30-denier rip-stop nylon, allowing for waterproofing, breathability, and durability.
- Allows for some stretch and mobility.
- Lightweight and can pack down small and easily.
- Able to pack into own pocket for simple storage.
- Light and breathable, but still protective.
- H20 membrane breathes so you don’t get overheated.
- The seams are taped on the inside for extra waterproofing ability.
- Front zipper and 2 hand pockets for ample storage, and are closed with waterproof-YKK zips.
- Helmet-compatible hood for efficiency.
- Adjustable pull cord at the rear of hood and two pull cords at the hem for full adjustment customization.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Sleeves run long so may not be suitable for some body types.
- The hood may be too big if you are not wearing a helmet.
- When you cinch down the hood, the brim doesn’t work very well, due to not being stiff-enough and too small.
- Some reports of the waterproofing not working well.
- Pockets may be too small to store enough items.
- The sizing runs large, so you will have to size-down or try-on before purchasing.
- Sizing runs big, and can lead to ordering the incorrect size.
- Not the most breathable during high-intensity activity.
- Not as durable as some 3-layer jackets.
- The hood tightening system is awkward, and you would have to unzip the collar to tighten the hood.
- Zippers are difficult to operate due to the waterproof coating, making the zipper stiff.
The Patagonia Stretch Rainshadow Jacket for men is a very lightweight rain jacket that is suitable for outdoor activities in a variety of conditions. As is often the case with very lightweight waterproof jackets, there are some reports of leaks. Although the majority of users are happy with this feather weight jacket.