We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Rab Microlight Down Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 87 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.5 stars
Expert Rating: 4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 116
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Stylish and warm.
- Durable material and construction.
- Aids in keeping water out during light precipitation.
- Pertex exterior fabric aids in durability, and the hydrophobic down maintains warmth even when it gets damp.
- Baffling behind the snag-free zipper keeps wind out and the heat in.
- Versatile, and can be used stand-alone as an outer layer or as a technical mid layer.
- This jacket is ultralight and can be used efficiently in three seasons.
- The high-loft down combined with outer shell allows for warmth and durability.
- The down insulation provides a high warmth-to-weight ratio without being heavy.
- Pertex Microlight fabric aids in making the jacket windproof and traps the heat inside.
- DWR+ is a water-repellent treatment that aids in shedding water, and not limiting breathability.
- Pertex fabric allows moisture to evaporate, not letting sweat build up inside the jacket.
- Features two hand pockets and one zippered chest pocket for ample storage.
- The cuffs and hem feature elastic for a snug fit to keep in warmth.
- Jacket has a trim fit to remain stylish and keep in the heat, even though this means you can’t fit bulkier layers underneath.
- Able to wear comfortably down to freezing temperatures while being active.
- Able to fold the jacket in own pocket for easy storage.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Not much room underneath for layering.
- No lined pockets for warmth.
- Might fit a little tight in the waist area.
- Some reports of the armpit cut too high and too tightly.
- The sizing changed since previous models, making it more difficult to buy online.
- Some reports of lack of durability due to the stitching coming out.
- The hand pockets are not zippered, so things can fall out when moving around.
- Fabric is not the most breathable on the market.
- No hood for extra protection.
- The horizontal seams mean that down can slip out of the jacket.
The Rab Microlight Down Jacket for men is a durable, versatile, and lightweight option that can be used as an outer or mid-layer, due to the slim cut and technical features. The hydrophobic down adds a nice level of security for 3-season use.
Note: User and expert rankings were reviewed across the web. Some expert reviews include these: 1, 2.