We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Vasque Grand Traverse Hiking Shoe – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 219
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Can last a few seasons even when wearing for regular use.
- The fit is good for multiple foot shapes and runs true to size.
- Well-made and long-lasting.
- Works well for scrambling on a variety of terrain.
- Durable, but remains lightweight.
- Able to protect your feet from debris and sharp objects.
- More comfortable for longer hikes than stiff approach shoes, although this means they don’t edge as well.
- The Vibram sole provides good stick to multiple types of terrain.
- Provides solid grip in multiple conditions.
- Able to be a lightweight option that is versatile in many circumstances.
- Minimalist with a low-profile outer sole and EVA midsole for style and function.
- Provides stability despite a low ankle height.
- Able to evenly tighten the shoe around your foot to provide a snug fit.
- The suede leather is thin, and the mesh panels allow for added ventilation.
- Able to dry quickly after getting wet.
- The laces are strong, and the lacing system extends to the toes, for full customization on adjusting the tightness.
- The toe cap is durable and burly to protect and aid in scrambling.
- The versatility allows this option to handle a wide range of terrain.
- Performs well in a variety of activities, and still looks stylish.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of a fold on the toe area causing some discomfort and rubbing.
- Runs narrow so you may need to go up a half size.
- The narrower-shaped toe box can become uncomfortable on descents.
- The shoe takes some time to break-in and may be uncomfortable at first.
- Not the best grip in wet conditions.
- Not the best shoe solely in terms of climbing technical specifications.
- Not enough cushion for extended trail running.
- You can feel debris under your feet due to the sensitivity provided.
- Doesn’t have enough support for proficiency on climbing or edging.
- Stiff and tight in the toe-box area right out of the box.
The Vasque Grand Traverse Hiking Shoe for men is a lightweight, versatile, and well-constructed shoe that provides a balance between approach shoes and trail running shoes. The narrower fit, limited cushioning, and sensitivity provided may not be suitable for some, especially those who prefer pure climbing performance in a shoe. However, the versatility this shoe provides makes it good at both hiking and approaches, but not the best at any one category.