We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Mountain Hardwear Stretchdown Down Jacket – Women’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 78 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.6 stars
Expert Rating: 2.4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 82
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Matte finish is stylish.
- Warm and stretchy.
- Fairly easy to stuff into a small space in your pack for traveling.
- Moves well with you during activity.
- Stretches and provides mobility in your upper arms and shoulders.
- Stylish fit and material.
- Inside large pockets and outside zip pockets allow for ample storage.
- High-quality material and doesn’t shed.
- Elastic cuffs keep the sleeves tight without being constricting.
- Welded seams and 750-fill hydrophobic down aid in the waterproofing abilities and warmth.
- No stitching for baffling prevents any heat from escaping.
- The big collar aids in protection from the elements and keeping you warm.
- Elastic cuffs and hem seal in the warmth.
- The exterior is burly and durable without being restrictive.
- Stretchy fabric allows for a complete range of motion.
- DWR treatment provides protection from light precipitation.
- Wrist cuffs have light elastic to keep the heat in, but aren’t restricting.
- Awarded “best down jacket for women for attention to detail”.
- Features two zippered hand pockets for secure storage and warming your hands.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some issues with buying the correct size for layering needs.
- Some reports of the material starting to wear down inside the jacket after use.
- Some reports of people wishing it was a little longer.
- This jacket weighs more than the competition.
- Too warm for intense activities.
- The stretch factor doesn’t run lengthwise, so the jacket can ride up during certain activities.
- Absorbs a fair amount of water during prolonged precipitation, so isn’t the best to wear as an outer shell.
- The welded seams are designed to prevent heat-loss, but these areas aren’t insulated, so you can lose heat through them.
- The pockets are not harness compatible.
- No stuff sack, and doesn’t stuff into own pocket.
The Mountain Hardwear Stretchdown Down Jacket for women is a stylish, warm, and mobile jacket that is designed for combining style and performance into one layer. The shorter length, lack of durability, heavy weight, and no harness-compatible pockets make this not the best choice for an outer layer during high intensity activity or during intense weather, but the comfort features like elastic cuffs, ample pockets, and stylish-fit make this a great option for low-key outdoor activities or hanging out around town.
Note: User and expert rankings were reviewed across the web. Some expert reviews include these: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.