We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Cobra Ice Tool and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 42
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Low vibration, even in brittle ice.
- Versatile for many types of climbing.
- Very durable.
- Offers secure placement.
- The carbon fiber doesn’t freeze hands the same way as aluminum.
- Feels light but solid in the hand.
- Very easy to adjust or switch the adze and pick.
- The handle is easy to hold.
- Durable and withstands a lot of abuse.
- Good swing accuracy.
- Holes in the head of the tool allow them to be easily racked together.
- Performs well on both rock and ice.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The grip size can feel a bit small for those with larger hands, although it is a much better fit for smaller hands than previous iterations.
- Not curved enough to be the perfect tool to get around large bulges in the ice.
- The trigger is small and not as easy to grip while wearing large gloves.
The Black Diamond Cobra Ice Tool is a good-looking and highly capable tool for almost all routes, including mixed. With a very lightweight but unwaveringly sturdy design, this tool has good accuracy and sticks well in the ice, with low vibration and an easy, relatively warm grip to hold onto. The Cobra is very durable to years of hard use, and its versatility increases with the simple change of the adze or pick and its ability to be easily racked together. Overall, there is not much to complain about with this tool, as it performs well on most routes and lasts a long long time.