We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Outdoor Research Uberlayer Insulated Hooded Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 26
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Athletic cut means you can layer over or under this layer.
- Inner mesh pockets provide secure storage.
- Hood is helmet-compatible.
- It provides enough warmth as an outer insulation layer.
- Longer cut in the back fully protects you and keeps heat sealed in.
- Versatile to wear over or under other layers depending on the conditions.
- Arm length fully covers during activity.
- Breathes well when compared to other insulating layers.
- Warm enough to wear without a shell in certain conditions.
- Releases sweat effectively, but also traps heat inside via air pockets to regulate body temperature.
- Optimally balances warmth and breathability.
- The mesh lining is fitted with a stretchy nylon shell, combining breathability and durability.
- Insulation works well when wet and dries quickly.
- Five pockets for ample storage.
- Double separating center zipper allows for easy access to belay device and prevents overheating.
- Athletic fit leaves ample room to layer over the top.
- The mobility is great and you can reach your arms overhead with a full range of motion.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Some reports of the stitching coming loose.
- Not the warmest synthetic jacket when compared to the competition.
- Water-resistant, but only for a short period of time.
- Not very wind-resistant in heavier winds.
- Heavier weight for this type of layer.
- Some durability issues of fraying along seams after use.
The Outdoor Research Uberlayer Insulated Hooded Jacket for men is a warm, breathable, stretchy, and functional jacket that provides optimal versatility due to the layering abilities it provides. Some durability questions may deter some, but for a piece that can be worn in a variety of conditions, under a shell or over a baselayer, this jacket is a great option, providing mobility, fast-drying material, and ample warmth.