We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Five Ten Kestrel Lace-Up Cycling Shoe – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 140
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Great comfort and strong pedaling.
- Sticky and sturdy.
- Sole is stiff, but flex enough for you to be able to hike.
- The toe area is stiff and protected.
- The footbed has good arch support.
- Shoe platform is stiff for powerful pedaling.
- Less stiff than the original model due to using nylon instead of carbon.
- Uses Stealth C4 for hard rubber with extra traction provided, especially on rock.
- Perforated toe and mesh tongue enhance breathability.
- Reinforced and double-stitching around the toe area for protection.
- Clip groove makes it easy to get in and out.
- Close to a traditional bike XC shoe, but has a more comfortable upper.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The tongue feels thin and doesn’t have enough padding for comfort.
- The laces and strap can dig into your ankle.
- Some reports of the footbed being too stiff for comfortable hiking.
- Shoelaces and shoestring holes can tear.
- Some of the tongue of the shoe digging into the ankles and upper foot area.
- Only one color option available.
- The perforated tongue might not be good for winter-specific activities or wet weather.
The Five Ten Kestrel Lace-Up Cycling Shoe for men is a protective, sturdy, and durable shoe that combines flexibility and stiffness into one, versatile option. The lack of padding on the tongue and some comfort issues in the upper area may deter some, but for those who want a stiff platform and a tough shoe, this is a great choice.