We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Petzl Summit Evo Ice Axe and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 37
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Lightweight and durable.
- The construction of the handle is good for self arresting.
- Easy to handle and control for safe and convenient use.
- Grip on the handle works well.
- Versatile to use on rock and hardpack snow.
- The moderately-aggressive design is good for a variety of terrain.
- Comfortable to hang onto and carry for long periods of time.
- Very technical and stylish.
- Designed for general mountaineering and routes.
- The adze is wide enough for cutting steps and angled for digging into snow.
- The design works well for hill walking and basic mountaineering.
- Good ability on steep snow climbing.
- Comfortable to carry and easy to maneuver.
- Can be used during an entire climbing career.
- Good for up to Grade III climbing.
- Holes at the top and bottom are easy for use with a carabiner.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The spike isn’t the best in hard snow conditions.
- Not the most functional for leashless vertical climbing.
- Since it is lightweight at the head, you have to swing harder to have it penetrate ice.
- Expensive due to the construction and high-quality material used.
- Despite being good at chopping steps and working in steep snow, it isn’t the best for continuous ice performance when compared to other options on the market.
- No wrist strap.
The Petzl Summit Evo Ice Axe is a technical and versatile option that works well on basic mountaineering, hill walking, cutting steps, and digging into snow. There are better axes for continuous ice use and cutting, but for routes up to Grade III, this axe can last a whole career in the mountains.