We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Marmot Ares Down Jacket – Men’s and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 146
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Features great styling and color choices for a personalized look.
- Can turn into a pillow for comfort while traveling or sleeping on the road.
- The fit is spot-on and is comfortable for use during activities.
- Very warm and soft for a great combination of comfort and ability to use in cold weather.
- Provides ample ventilation and breathability for use during activities.
- Able to be zipped into one of its own pockets for easy transportation.
- Easily transitions from wearing around town to on the mountain for versatility.
- Features a DWR finish for extra protection against light precipitation.
- Uses 600-fill down for ample warmth during cold temperatures.
- Retains loft after getting wet, meaning it can keep its warmth and provide good temperature regulation.
- Very lightweight, making it easy to layer and pack.
- Features two zippered hand pockets for secure storage.
- The hem adjustment works well to cinch in the heat for extra warmth.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Does not have a hooded version, which limits the protection.
- Might be too warm to wear during active use in temperatures above 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Does not feature a zippered interior pocket for extra security.
- Not waterproof, which limits the protection during prolonged precipitation.
The Marmot Ares Down Jacket for men is a warm, compressible, and versatile layering option that works well in a wide range of temperature conditions. The main drawbacks of this jacket are the lack of waterproofing materials and being too warm for weather above 40 degrees. However, if you frequently hike outdoors in cold and dry climates, or are looking for a warm mid-layer, this could be a good choice for you.
Note: User and expert rankings were reviewed across the web. Some expert reviews include these: 1.