We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Orvis Encounter Complete 4-Piece Outfit and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 291
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- The rod flexes well for confidence while casting.
- The rod is lightweight and flexible for easy carrying on fishing trips.
- The set up of the rod takes less than 5 minutes, making it an easy and convenient option.
- The complete outfit means you do not have to purchase each of the products separately for convenience.
- Able to easily put together in less than a few minutes for ease of use.
- Contains plenty of flex and sensitivity, making this a great rod for beginners.
- The cork handle is smooth and ergonomic for a comfortable grip.
- The casting is smooth and lets you cast any type from dry flies to streamers for versatility.
- Affordable option for the high-quality reel you will get.
- The combination of fly rods provides versatility for everything like saltwater, freshwater, spey throwing, and warm water.
- Lightweight, but remains strong for ample durability.
- Comes in various length choices, making it a good fit for nearly all situations.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The fly line is not the best quality compared to the rest of the rod.
- The drag isn’t sealed, which means you will have to care or clean your reel after using it in saltwater.
- The drag is not the best for stopping big fish compared to other options on the market.
- Does not come with a combined case for fly rod and reel for ease of transportation.
- Orvis does not offer warranty for the Encounter line, so you won’t be covered for anything that happens.
- The fly reel is plastic and not cast aluminum, which some users may not like.
The Orvis Encounter Complete 4-Piece Outfit is a lightweight, sturdy, and flexible option that works well in a variety of conditions. Despite not working the best in saltwater and not having a warranty, this outfit could be a good choice for beginners who want a durable, easy to use, and high-quality option for almost all fishing trips.