We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Patagonia Capilene Air Hoodie – Men’s and summarize the results below:
PeakScore: 87 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.5 stars
Expert Rating: 4 stars
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 95
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very warm for how lightweight it is.
- Does a great job at keeping heat in while out in cold temperatures.
- The tall neck provides a very cozy and warm baselayer for cold adventures.
- Layers easily and comfortably to regulate your temperature during cold weather.
- The lack of seams provide comfort and reduce chafing while using during outdoor activities.
- The material is soft and the waffle pattern holds in the heat to keep you warm during cold temperatures.
- Dries quickly after you get sweaty during activities for ample comfort.
- Very warm for use during cold temperatures.
- Isn’t itchy and is quite comfortable against the skin for wool material.
- The seamless design adds comfort, due to the flat transitions and lack of chafing.
- The hood can protect your neck and keep the wind out for added warmth.
- Doesn’t hold odors after getting sweaty and is very breathable during activities.
- One of the best baselayers on the market due to the versatility and comfort provided.
- Versatile temperature range for a wide range of climates and activities.
- The hood fits comfortably and snugly under a helmet for added functionality.
- The hood holds its shape after many years due to the seamless construction.
- Great warmth-to-weight ratio for a versatile and functional layer.
- Patagonia only uses responsibly sourced wool so you can feel good about what you are wearing.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- The hoodie version might be too warm for some climates.
- Not the most durable option, with reports of the fabric fraying around the hood.
- Some reports of needing to order a size smaller if you want to be able to wear it as a tighter-fitting baselayer.
- Might be too warm for many activities and climates.
- Expensive when compared to other options on the market.
- The external material can fray due to rubbing from a heavy backpack, limiting the long-term durability.
- The hood can be awkward when you are not using it and can bunch up on your neck.
- There is some shrinkage in the body and sleeve length that makes it difficult to purchase the correct size online.
- The exterior fabric pills easily and is not the most durable compared to other options.
- The front of the neck line can ride up on the front of your neck, which can be annoying.
The Patagonia Capilene Air Hoodie for men is a very warm, comfortable, and versatile option that can work well for those who want a lightweight layer for many conditions. Despite not being the most durable and lacking protection against abrasions and debris, this could be a great choice for users who want a base layer that they can wear in almost any weather condition due to the lightweight-warmth, comfort against your skin, and snug fit.
Note: User and expert rankings were reviewed across the web. Some expert reviews include these: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.