We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Black Diamond Big Gun Harness and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 76
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- Very durable and good for years.
- Lots of useful gear loops and the harness distributes the weight well.
- Good padding that makes it a very comfortable harness.
- Easily adjustable buckle system.
- Two belay loops.
- Offers both support and comfort without being too heavy.
- Good venting for the amount of padding.
- Leg loops are easy to drop when needed.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Sizing is more limited than other models and only accommodates up to a 39″ waist.
- Very bulky.
- It is important to measure your dimensions before ordering this, to make sure that the leg loops fit.
- Although this is a unisex harness, the dimensions might not fit well for smaller or curvier women.
- The gear loops are not as strong and easy to handle as similar models.
- The gear loops are cluttered.
- Without two belt buckles, the harness needs to be continually adjusted when transitioning from hanging to climbing.
The Black Diamond Big Gun Harness shines on multi-pitch trad routes because of its maximized padding and comfort, gear loops, and double belay loop. While there are debates about the usefulness of many smaller gear loops instead of a few larger ones, many users like the option for increased organization with the Big Gun’s smaller loops. Although this is an overall much-appreciated and lauded harness, it is important to pay attention to the sizing for the best possible fit, especially as the “unisex fit” is likely more geared towards male bodies.