We’ve read the reviews across the web for the Thule Stacker Kayak Carrier and summarize the results below:
Number of Ratings Reviewed: 91
Pros & Cons
Reasons to buy:
- High-quality materials and construction.
- Easy to install and set up.
- Folds down when not in use to save space.
- Able to double as a bike rack for versatility.
- No problems reported with loosening or shifting during use.
- Able to lay down in between bars on the truck-rack when not in use to save space.
- Easier to load than a cradle, since you only have to lift the boat to the rack height, making the boats easier to load.
- Works with mostly any car or truck.
- Secure and snug fit.
- Uses up less crossbar space than other kayak rack styles on the market, promoting efficiency.
- Able to use alongside other gear carriers on roof rack since it takes up less space.
- Made from steel with non-scratch coating for extra durability.
- Carries weights of up to 75 pounds for a range of kayaks.
- Provides secure straps for one boat.
- Able to accommodate and attach to all Thule rack systems.
- Tool-free and has a virtually universal fit to almost any roof rack.
Reasons NOT to buy:
- Takes some time to get used to the loading process.
- The straps may not be more secure than ratcheting straps.
- The rack is not padded, which could potentially scratch the kayaks or the car.
- Crossbars can scratch the top of your car.
- Secure straps and tie-downs are only provided for two boats, instead of four.
- Two stackers are needed to carry 4 boats.
- Can take some time when you’re not used to the loading process.
- Not able to load 4 kayaks on one stacker, but need to buy two stackers to ensure they all fit.
The Thule Stacker Kayak Carrier is a high-quality, durable, and versatile option that is best suited to carry two kayaks securely and safely. The possibility to carry no more than two kayaks may deter some groups from purchasing this carrier, but the ability for any Thule rack to attach to one another makes it easy to add another stacker.